Making the Most of Your ISMPP Certified Medical Publication Professional™ (CMPP™) Credential at the 11th Annual Meeting of ISMPP
April 26-29, 2015
At the 11th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Medical Publication Professionals (ISMPP), Michael Platt presented at a session on "Making the Most of Your ISMPP Certified Medical Publication Professional™ (CMPP™) Credential."
The panel included:
- John Gonzalez, PhD, ISMPP CMPP™, Publications Director, AstraZeneca
- Steven Palmisano, ISMPP CMPP™, Vice President, Managing Director, MedThink SciCom; Chair, ISMPP Certification Board (2014 – 2015)
- Michael Platt, MS, ISMPP CMPP™, President, MedVal Scientific Information Services, LLC
- Suzann Schiller, ISMPP CMPP™, Executive Vice President, Strategic Collaborations , Cello Health Communications | MedErgy and SciFluent
- Moderator: Laine Capaccio, ISMPP CMPP™, Director of Credentialing, International Society for Medical Publication Professionals (ISMPP)
The panel discussed the basics of the CMPP credential and the value it provides to medical publication professionals. The CMPP credential program is a formal, voluntary, professional certification program that aims to promote adherence to the high standards of integrity and transparency required in the field of medical publication. This is especially crucial today, amidst increasing scrutiny into publication practices. The credential certifies:
- Expertise as a medical publication professional
- Proficiency in good publication practices
- Commitment to ethical and transparent data dissemination standards
- Leadership in upholding and fostering integrity and excellence in medical publication
The exam itself is made up of 4 domains, and the credential requires renewal every 5 years through continuing education credits. ISMPP provides updated CMPP exam resources; however, they are no substitute for practical experience.
Michael explained how the CMPP board uses various psychometrics to ensure the validity and reliability of the exam. The exam undergoes continuous cycles of reviews and updates to evaluate fairness and scoring of exam questions. ISMPP is currently seeking accreditation for the CMPP credential.
More medical publication professionals are seeking the CMPP certification and they have found that it adds personal and organizational value, plays a role in securing new positions, and is increasingly requested or required by clients.
Michael also provided some tips on how to make the most of your CMPP credential:
- Include the CMPP credential in your e-mail signature and on your business card
- Highlight in RFI/RFP responses that you and/or your colleagues are credentialed
- Become an official CMPP mentor to help others earn theirs
- Recognize that you are now eligible for other ISMPP Committees and ISMPP jobs
- Market yourself as a CMPP certificant
- Wear your CMPP pin proudly
- Tell your friends and colleagues!
For more information about the CMPP certification, visit the ISMPP website, review the exam preparation materials, or contact Michael Platt using the Contact Us form.